The 2019 event was great!
Wigilia – a traditional Polish Christmas Eve Dinner – open to all
An annual tradition of the PHSR
St. John Fisher College
Cleary Auditorium in Kearney Hall
Saturday, December 14, 2019
5:00 pm social hour, 6:00 pm program followed by dinner
The evening’s program will include:
- Several traditions such as the singing of carols (koledy) and the breaking of opłatki.
- Music during the social hour.
- Activities for younger children during the social hour with hopes for a visit from Święty Mikołaj!
- Entertainment following dinner by Robert Johnson .
The 2019 menu is as follows:
- Social Hour: Herring, rye bread, cheese & crackers, soft drinks, red & white wine.
- Main Course: Beet soup (barszcz) with mushroom dumplings (uszka), pierogi (cheese and potato, sauerkraut), fresh cod, split peas and cabbage (kapusta z grochem).
- Dessert: Poppy seed rugelach, angel wings (chruściki), dried fruit compote (kompot z suszu), coffee & tea.
Watch for information each Christmas season on programs to be presented by the Polish Heritage Society of Rochester and the Krakow Sister Cities Program.
“Wigilia” comes from the Latin word “vigilare,” meaning “to await.” The actual Wigilia celebration begins on December 24th when the first star in the east (Gwiazdka) is seen.