Wigilia – a traditional Polish Christmas Eve Dinner – open to all
The annual tradition of the PHSR is back!
St. John Fisher College
Cleary Auditorium in Kearney Hall
Saturday, December 10, 2022
5:00 pm social hour, 6:00 pm program followed by dinner.
$35 PHSR members, $40 non-members, $20 ages 6 – 18, free for children 5 and under
Registration Deadline: November 28, 2022
Seating is limited — it is recommended that you purchase your seats early to avoid disappointment.
Purchase deadline has passed.
The evening’s program will include:
- Several traditions such as the singing of carols (koledy) and the breaking of opłatki.
- Music and activities during the social hour.
- Entertainment following dinner.
The 2022 menu is as follows:
- Social Hour: Herring, rye bread, cheese & crackers, soft drinks, red & white wine.
- Main Course: Beet soup (barszcz) with mushroom dumplings (uszka), pierogi (cheese and potato, sauerkraut), fresh cod, split peas and cabbage (kapusta z grochem).
- Dessert: Poppy seed rugelach, angel wings (chruściki), dried fruit compote (kompot z suszu), coffee & tea.
- GF: Gluten free options available.
Watch for information each Christmas season on programs to be presented by the Polish Heritage Society of Rochester and the Krakow Sister Cities Program.
“Wigilia” comes from the Latin word “vigilare,” meaning “to await.” The actual Wigilia celebration begins on December 24th when the first star in the east (Gwiazdka) is seen.