PHSR is a member of:
Current Rochester Polonia Organizations/Resources
- Polish Heritage Society of Rochester
- St. Stanislaus Church, 34 St. Stanislaus Street, Rochester. On the web, see: Polish Arts Festival site.
- St. Casimir’s Polish National Church, 500 Simpson Road, Rochester, 585-338-7920.
- Skalny Center for Polish and Central European Studies, University of Rochester.
- Polish Falcons Nest 52, meets at Ira Jacobsen American Legion Post, 90 St. John Place.
- Polish National Alliance, Lodge 512, meets at St. Stanislaus Church, 34 St. Stanislaus Street.
- Krakow-Rochester Sister Cities Committee
- Polish Scouting Organization, meets at St. Stanislaus Church.
- Polonia Civic Centre, meets at St. Stanislaus Church.
Education and Heritage:
- Christmas Traditions
- Skalny Center for Polish and Central European Studies (also, Facebook)
- Polish-American Heritage on the Niagara Frontier
- Rochester Sister Cities
- Buffalo Folklore and Martin Biniasz’s Buffalo history site.
- American Council for Polish Culture
- Polish Genealogical Society of America – The PGSA website has a great deal of helpful information, including publications and data bases. Society members also offer limited help with research. Increasingly, there are researchers/companies in Poland that provide service to American genealogists, including help with locating and translating records in Poland. The PGSA website lists some of these.
- A helpful book is “Going Home: A Guide to Polish American Family History Research” by Jonathan Shea (available for purchase on the PGSA website).
- Polish Genealogical Society of Western New York – Buffalo.
- Jewish genealogy website.
- Rochester Genealogical Society – They meet monthly (except in the summer). Their members include people who have been doing genealogical research for many years and are very knowledgeable about how to trace family roots.
- History at Home: A Guide to Genealogy – a beginner’s guide with lots of links.
- Genealogy: The Complete Resource Guide
- How to Use DNA Testing to Trace Your Family Tree
- How to Preserve Your Family Treasures
- How to Handle Antique Textiles and Costumes
- Preserving and Passing On Your Values: How to Create a Family Heirloom
- 13 Fun Family Traditions: Examples and Ideas
- Fryderyk Franciszek Chopin
- Battle of Grunwald
- Ignacy Jan Paderewski
- Smolensk plane crash
- Kathleen Urbanic’s book about Rochester’s Polish Americans is:
Shoulder to Shoulder: Polish Americans in Rochester, NY, 1890-2000
- The Warsaw Uprising, August-October, 1944
- Polish American Congress, Washington Metropolitan Area Division, see this site for translations of recent speeches about the Warsaw Uprising 60th anniversary.
- Prominent Poles
- “Behind Closed Doors” – information about the meetings between Roosevelt, Churchill and Stalin after World War II.